Ever since the news of PS3 jailbreak since August, 2010, nearly every PS3, the PS3 jailbreak has become instantly popular.
Following are some easy steps about how to jailbreak your ps3.
First of all you need a device that can run the jailbreak code on your ps3. It can be one of the many supported USB devices like an iPhone, Android Phones, or the most convenient of all, a dedicated PS3 modchip or jailbreak dongle.
You can buy a PS3 modchip to jailbreak your ps3 for as low as $25-$35. Google around for modchips like ps3key, ps3break etc. They all work and all are in the $30 range.
After you’ve purchased a modchip, just follow the following easy steps to setup your PS3 for the first time.
- Download BackupManager (This application needs to be installed on your PS3 from a usb flash drive). So just copy this file to a USB flash drive. Make sure the backupManager is in the root of the USB flash drive. (Do not use it yet)
- Make sure the power cable to your ps3 is disconnected, and plug in the PS3 modchip via the USB port (make sure no other usb device is connected to the ps3 yet)
- Press the power button on the front of the ps3, immediately followed by pressing the eject button. You should hear multiple beeps, that’d mean the modchip has worked successfully.
- Now let the ps3 boot, after you see the XMB menu, insert the USB flash drive on the 2nd USB port of the ps3. Go to the games submenu and you will see a new Icon saying “Install Package”, select it and you will see the backupManager.pkg file.
- Install the backupManager, after the installation is over, now you can see the new BackupManager application icon on your ps3 xmb menu. This backup Manager will now be used to copy and play downloaded ps3 games on your ps3 now. The ps3 is now jailbreak
Now, you might ask how to copy PS3 games to my ps3 now?
Well you’ve two options,
- Either download PS3 games from the internet, from torrent websites as well as sites like rapidshare. I can’t link those here as it’ll be illegal.
- Or Rent games from gameshops and make copies of those games via the BackupManager. You can return the orignal game discs after copying them and play the copied files from ps3 hard disk.
Here are some steps about how to copy ps3 game into the ps3 hard disk:
- Plug-in the ps3 jailbreak modchip into one of the usb ports of PS3 (make sure the power cable of ps3 is disconnected).
- Connect the PS3 power cable, and now press the power key on the front of the PS3, immediately followed by the Eject key. (you should hear multiple beeps which mean the ps3 has been successfuly jailbroken)
- Now once the ps3 is booted, on the menu go to Games and select and launch the Backup Manager application that we installed in start of the tutorial.
- Now insert the game disc into the ps3 that you want to copy into the ps3 hdd.
- Press the [copy] button as show on the backup manager bottom. (the ps3 will copy the entire game from the blu-ray disc to the ps3 (it can take upto 30-60 minutes depending on game size). You can copy as many games as you want this way.
- After the game(s) has been copied, Now you can play all these games from the ps3 hard disc, just by inserting any (random) PS3 game disc (it has to be original game). For example, i use my Tekken 6 original disc inside my ps3, with that disc i boot all the copied games from my ps3.
I will later on add steps how to copy games from PC to PS3 so you can play downloaded ps3 games that you got from internet.
Hope this helps. Enjoy your ps3 hacks and homebrew now.